Protecting the environment is a major part of the Universal Gold business ethic. We take our environmental impact as very important. We have created a business that minimises the impact that the jewellery retail industry has on the environment and continue to work hard to reduce, reuse and recycle.
Some basics, it is well known that gold mining is one of the dirtiest, most environmentally destructive industries in the world. For example, it takes for each 6 grams of gold, the processing of over 1000 KG's of ore is necessary - which can be responsible for contaminating drinking water, destroying traditional livelihoods and displaces indigenous communities.
Irresponsible mining harms the reputation of retailers and manufacturers of products that use gold the world over. We don't have the power to change practices of major mining companies or force global policy change. However, we can change what we control.
Instead of having 'virgin' gold mined, we recondition jewellery, assay them and pass the saving, both in environmental and price terms, to the customer.
We save perfectly viable jewellery from being refined, saving much more CO2 than is generated from reconditioning jewellery.
Hence, we do the following in the way we work and as part of our environmental strategy:
- We use only biodegradable cleaning solutions and instruments.
- All detergents are environmentally safe, non-toxic and VOC free.
- Our head office is powered by Green Energy from renewable sources.
- All packaging material is fully recyclable and made from recycled material - even the ink!
- We walk to post items and don't use cars, whatever the weather, we walk!
- We are 100% waste free. No waste from our business is sent to landfill in any form!
- We use recycled cleaning cloths and compost it when it's reached its end of use/life.
- We pay for trees to be planted all over the world as a way to offset some of the issues we cannot change.
- We don't use acids, pickles or other agents in any work we do.
- All stones are sourced from conflict free areas.
- All stones are ethical and the miners who source them are not children, forced or in any form of slavery. They are also paid a fair, living wage in their country.
- Our business model is sustainable and works. We have the ability to provide a great product at the best possible price and with no damage to the world around us.
- All resins and glues are 100% plant based.
- The gas we have to use in the soldering of some pieces is LPG and sourced from environmentally sound companies.